Monday, November 16, 2015

Be The Reason For A Smile

The topic we got was Extreme poverty and hunger with the styles’ SM, GE & IN. I was thinking of ways how we can show the topic assigned without putting our own lives in danger, I suggested a place here in Laguna since no one was giving ideas of where we can shoot. We all agreed on going to Laguna after all the discussions on our group chat, we concluded that it’s safer to shoot in the area I suggested, and even though the area is dangerous I asked for adult supervision from my parents and a family friend that is a resident there. The 5 of us, Angela, Ela, Kristen, Jewel and I went on a bus that had the sign of Balibago Complex, Sta. Rosa exit. It was exciting because it was their first time to go to Laguna. We went down on the first stop, we rode a tricycle going directly to my village. It’s so funny because they were taking snapchats and pictures “tourista hits”. We got to the house at around 12pm, I reckon. My mom prepared us food and we enjoyed the meal. After eating, Kristen and I wrote down what we needed to shoot, questions we were going to ask the interviewees and arranging the goods we’ll give to them. After all this, it was time to go to the area called “Inchikan”. The area is within the roads of Westgrove, which is a rich village. Actually before you reach the villa to be exact. A quick fact, Sharon Cuneta has a house there at Westgrove. Going to Inchikan, you’ll be surprised that there is an area that experiences hunger and poverty because it is near rich villages. The outside of Inchikan does not really exemplify a poverty area that was until we went down to the first interviewee, it was hard going down because it was so rocky and it was just land. Bridges were made out of bamboos and a lengthwise piece of concrete. Residents kept on looking and were intrigued by the fact of us being there with our cameras and all our gizmos. Kids were following us as if we were famous. Going inside the first interviewee’s home it was organized but it was small and the floor was wobbly because it was near the river which scared me so I had to be careful. Right then and there I told myself “You are so lucky to have a stable home Bea”. Actually out of all the interviewees I was touched most by the last interviewee, she asked why their life is just like that it was so hard. I wanted to help her in any way I can, when asked of what dream they have a common answer was to eat a complete meal, not get sick and get a job. It makes you think of what you do with your life, I realized how lucky I am to be in a good school, we have a stable home, I eat 3 times or even more a day and I have everything I could ever have and yet I still complain. When we were making this I told myself I would change about how I see life, and let the world see these kinds of problems in the world. After this experience, I’m thinking of taking Development Communications. I am just thankful that I had this opportunity to see and somehow experience their heartaches. I am thankful for this experience because it reminded me of why I chose Mass Communications as my course. I want to be the reason why a person is smiling today. Let us spread love and happiness all around the world.

By: Beanca Navarro


Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoSbLrZdo3o

No comments:

Post a Comment