Monday, August 17, 2015

CINEMASAYA: #IndiengIndieNaMapipigilan

Last August 12, 2015, we had our last day of Cinemalaya Campus lead by Prof. Flor Abanto with other film critics. First thing we did is our recap in Cinemalaya Campus Day 1, lead by Ms. Eva Mari DG. Salvador, the Cinemalaya Campus Forum Co-Director. In session 5, for the continuation of the last sessions during Cinemalaya Campus day 1, we watched Jane’s Wedding (2015), that is directed by Mr. Cole Stamm. It is a story of Jane, a bride-to-be with an older foreign guy. But, before the preparation for her wedding starts, she went to Geraldine, her past lover, who is lesbian and invites her to come to her (Jane) wedding. Ms. Agnes, one of the film’s critic, said that the film featured different kinds of relationship that isn’t typical—girl and girl, but reflects in today’s reality. After session 5 comes the introduction for the people behind NETPAC and introducing Mr. Jose Javier “Joey” Reyes, a multi-awarded screenwriter and director of films and television here in our country. Mr. Joey presented us an example of a silent film, Oliver’s Apartment. Obviously, there are no dialogues. but it tries to tell the story by just looking at it. Mr joey explained to us the difference between a film and a movie. He said, “Films are created by artists. Movies are products because they are meant to be sold.” And also, the difference between a filmmaker’s job and a film critic’s job. A block mate of mine asked him of what he advice he can give to us aspiring filmmakers and he said, “One word: Passion.” I think that really is should be. I think people complain with their work because they don’t love their work. They say it’s what pays the bills but, if you’ll add passion, you will strive for it and be the best you can be and you will never work for the rest of your life. To end his topic, Mr. Joey said, “You don’t do films for critics. You don’t do films because you want to earn awards/trophies. You do films because you have something to say.” End of Cinemalaya Campus day 2. After a break, long line awaits for Shorts A and Shorts B films.

 For Shorts A, since I love rating films/movies from 1-10 (10 is the highest), I’ll start with Apasol, directed by Ryanne Murcia, with a 5/10. 5, because at first it was “okay”. It is a story of a couple that one of them will eventually leave the country and the other one, El, is saddened by it that he is furious because he wants Mark to stay with him. I like how the camera showed a beautiful scenery. The actors, El and Mark also did a good job portraying their roles. It was already in the ending, which for me is the best part, is when I got what the film wants to say, “chase the sun” that means “savor the moment”. Next is Gatilyo, directed by Glenmark C. Doromal and Eero Yves Francisco, with a rate of 6/10. … Sanctissima, directed by Kenneth Dagalan, is the third film in line and I give it a 9/10. It was a very good film but I don’t really like seeing scenes with blood in it. I’m sorry, It’s just that I really hate seeing blood, especially in person. The time when the abortionist told the woman, “If you’ve been a mother, you would understand,” is when we, the audience, thought that, she became an abortionist to feed her son, from a demon. It is a very good film among the films presented in Shorts A because it succeeded in giving viewers the thrill, suspense and indeed, we were horrified by the film. That’s why me and my friends were not surprised that Sanctissima won the Audience Choice award for this year’s Cinemalaya. Kyel, directed by Arvin Belarmino, is a story of a drug addict who, in the end, was murdered by Kyel, by the order of a certain Mayor. I give it a 7/10 because of good editing. The film is an example of an open-ended film, so for me, it is maybe because a certain Rona, whom the drug addict had been calling, is related to the mayor—his wife, his sister or his daughter. The last film for Shorts A is Nenok, directed by Milo Tolentino. Knowing Milo Tolentino, the genius behind his film, “Andong,” I was expecting for great entertainment and, for sure, the kid in the movie, would portray his role very nice and just as we were expecting, the kid in the film succeeded in entertaining us—he made us laugh, cry and we actually want to hug him personally for doing great in the film at such a young age. Fortunately, outside the theater, he was there with (I guess) his dad, taking pictures with some of my block mates and luckily, we had a chance to hug him and congratulate him. Now going back to the film, Nenok, I’m very much happy with it, I give my perfect 10/10. I love the editing, the cinematography and how the film itself looked happy and light. Nenok, is obviously my favorite among the films in Shorts A.




For Shorts B, same with what I did in Shorts A, I would rate the 5 remaining films from 1-10 (10 is the highest). Let me start with Lisyun Qng Geografia (Geography Lessons), with a rate of a perfect 10/10. The two protagonists in the film…, succeeded in making us, the audience, laugh, feel sad, and “kilig” even just for a short period of time. I’m also glad to know that Mr. Vargas, won “Best in Direction” because he deserves it. In the film, Wawa, directed by Angelie Mae Macalanda, is a film that shows how and what some people do during their state of grieving. Direk Angelie, told us after the film, that she, herself, chose the place, the characters and she also said that what the film showed to us is just the same on how she is in her “state of grieving.” I give it a 6/10 because, yes, I can relate with the film, but I’m not really fond of watching films that doesn’t entertain me. The third film, Mater, directed by Annemikami Pablo, will have a rate (for me) is a 5/10. Overall, it was good film. But, I didn’t really get what the film wanted to say. I couldn’t even put in words the story because I don’t know where will I start or what word will I use first. With the film Pusong Bato, directed by Martika Ramirez Escobar, I give my perfect 10/10 because I really love the flow of the story, not typical and it's actually my first time to watch a film that a person falls in love with an object and to think that it really exist that is called “Objectophilia.” Indeed, hands down to the director of pusong buto for showing us a different world by making the film and introducing us a different kind of relationship and also for the characters who played their roles very well. I would really say it had a big impact on us, as the audience because most of the scenes are (I think) new to our eyes and again, not typical unlike other romantic movies. I'm also glad that pusong bato won best film for this year's Cinemalaya festival. Last film for Shorts B is Papetir directed by Darwin Novicio. It is a story about a puppeteer who goes to children's parties to entertain, and in this film, he was asked by a friend that they can back out any time. He still continued the show, yet he started blurting lines that are not inckuded in the script that made the people shock because they all wonder what was he talking about. Also, the director also shared to us that he was inspired by his job as a puppeteer that's why he came up with an idea of making this short film. It is so surprising that for only 5 minutes, the film had us laugh and teary-eyed. That is why it deserves a 10/10 rate (for me) and no wonder it won best screenplay in this year's Cinemalaya.

Where did I get my title? "Cinemalaya: #IndiengIndieNaMapipigilan"? My idea came from the most talked about video of the " Pabebe girls" and I got it from one of their lines, "Hindi mo kami mapiigilan!" We have been told that they had some problems last year, so they almost pull out this year's cinemalaya, but still they continued the annual festival, but only presented us short films. For me, films showed in Cinemalaya should be in so many places here in the Philippines, because it is one of the things that Filipinos should know and should be proud of.



-Orge, Xandra

No comments:

Post a Comment